The holiday season is a time of joy, celebration, and togetherness. While we indulge in festive feasts and revel in the warmth of the season, it’s essential to prioritise our well-being, especially when it comes to movement and injury prevention. At BPS, we believe that staying active and mindful during the holidays is the key to a healthier and happier you. In this blog, Lana share’s her top five holiday tips to help you move well and prevent injuries during this joyful time of the year.
- Stay Active with Festive Workouts: The holiday season often means a break from our regular routines, but that doesn’t mean you should take a break from exercise altogether. Embrace the festive spirit by incorporating holiday-themed workouts into your routine. Pilates is an excellent choice, offering a gentle yet effective way to strengthen your core, improve flexibility, and enhance overall body awareness. Whether it’s a mat workout at home, a zoom class or a group class at our studio, staying active will not only keep you fit but also boost your energy levels for all the holiday festivities.
- Mindful Movement in Daily Activities: Amidst the holiday hustle and bustle, it’s crucial to be mindful of your movements in your daily activities. Whether you’re shopping for gifts, preparing a holiday feast, or decorating your home, pay attention to your body mechanics. Practice proper posture, lift with your legs, and take breaks to avoid prolonged periods of sitting or standing. Small adjustments in your movements can make a significant difference in preventing strain and injury.
- Prioritise Self-Care: Give yourself the gift of self-care by incorporating regular stretching and body self checks into your holiday routine. Pilates-based stretching exercises can improve flexibility, reduce muscle tension, and promote relaxation. Take a few minutes each day to stretch your body, focusing on areas that may be prone to tension, such as the neck, shoulders, and lower back. Not only will this enhance your overall well-being, but it can also be a calming and rejuvenating break during the busy holiday season.
- Hydration and Nutrition for Joint Health: The holiday season often brings an abundance of delicious treats and festive beverages. While indulging in these delights, don’t forget the importance of staying hydrated and nourishing your body with essential nutrients. Proper hydration is crucial for joint health and overall well-being. Include foods rich in anti-inflammatory properties, such as omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, nuts, and seeds, to support joint function and reduce the risk of inflammation-related injuries.
- Plan Active Family Gatherings: Make movement a family affair by planning active and enjoyable gatherings. It’s no secret around the BPS studios that I am one for games 😉 Switch up the typical sedentary holiday activities, consider organising outdoor games, nature walks, or even a family-friendly Pilates session. This not only promotes physical activity but also strengthens the bonds between family members. Encourage everyone to participate and make moving together a cherished holiday tradition.
As you navigate the holiday season, remember that the gift of wellness is one of the most valuable presents you can give yourself. By incorporating these tips into your festive celebrations, you can move well, prevent injuries, and truly enjoy the magic of the season. From all of us here at BPS, we wish you a joyful and active holiday season filled with good health and happiness.